(last updated May 15, 2018)
VR 360 Dance Film -“Tidal Traces” (2016 - 2018)
- 2016-17 The DanceLab Residency with Emmalena Fredriksson, The Dance Centre, Vancouver, BC
- Exploring what VR can offer to dance presentation by placing the audience in the centre of the performance in an immersive environment.
- Process includes developing new ways of choreographing, directing, and filming for a 360 spatial environment through public dialogue, screenings, 360 choreography workshops and open studio sessions.
- “Tidal Traces” produced by the National Film Board of Canada Interactive studio
MODALmix (2014 - Present)
- New media art collective founded by Nancy Lee and Kiran Bhumber based in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Creates participatory new media art and performances integrating sensor technology with dance, music, video and installations.
- Objective is to broaden interdisciplinary research within the context of contemporary performance practice and new forms of electronic art.
- Emphasis placed on the interaction between people and installation interfaces to generate and manipulate audio-visual content.
Asian-Canadian communities’ oral history documentation (2010 - 2016)
- Documentation of Asian-Canadian narratives through film
- Research topics: Asian sexuality in a Western context, intergenerational relationships, multicultural households, and media representation.
2015 Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, Burnaby, BC, Canada.
- Introduction to Modern Dance
2014 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Bachelor of Science in Global Resource Systems
- Specializations in International Development and Asia-Pacific region.
2014 British Columbia Institute of Technology, Vancouver, BC.
- Marketing and Communication courses
2010 Exchange Program, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.
- Concentration in gender and media anthropology
Awards + Accolades
- 2018 BC Business Most Influential Women in STEM
- 2018 YWCA Women of Distinction in Art, Culture and Design nominee
- 2018 BC Music Fund Industry Initiatives Grant for “CURRENT: Feminist Electronic Art Symposium”
- 2018 BC Music Fund Industry Initiatives Grant for “Chapel Sound Workshop Series”
- 2018 BC Music Fund Industry Initiatives Grant for “Rise & Shine Music Seminar”
- 2017 City of Vancouver Community Arts Grant for “CURRENT: Feminist Electronic Art Symposium”
- 2017 Canada Council of the Arts International Travel Grant
- 2017 LA Film Review, Independent Film Award, bronze for “Faux Solo”
- 2017 Short.Sweet.Film Fest. (Ohio) Best Experimental Film for “Faux Solo”
- 2016 Canada Council of the Arts International Travel Grant
- 2016 Festival of Recorded Movement Youth Commissioning Fund Award for “Faux Solo”
- 2015 BC Arts Council Project Assistance Grant for “Pendula”
- 2014 UBC Global Health and Innovation Conference Travel Award
- 2013 First place winner of United Ways’ Care to Change PSA video competition
- 2013 Bass Coast music video competition finalist
- 2012 Asia Pacific Foundation National Conversation on Asia Video Award
- 2012 First place winner of UBC Arts Instructional Support and Information Technology videography competition
- 2011 UBC International Service Learning Award
- 2009 UBC Go Global Award
- 2006 President’s Entrance Scholarship
- “Creative City Strategy Launch”, City of Vancouver, Roundhouse Exhibition Hall, Vancouver BC
- “Speaker Panel: Cultural Sustainability In Our Rapidly Changing City”, Vancouver Mural Festival, Heritage Hall, Vancouver, BC
- “Growing in the scene - long term optimism and engaging well”, Groundwerk Keynote, Vancouver, BC
- “Creative Collaboration” Bass Coast Festival, Merrit, BC
- “Future of new media and technology in arts and culture”, Eyemyth Festival, antiSocial, Mumbai, India
- “VR Dance Film”, Creative Collaboration: a panel discussion and sharing of works in progress moderated by Peter Dickinson, The Dance Centre, Vancouver, BC
- “VR Dance Film: Research & Process”, DanceLab Residency, The Dance Centre, Vancouver, BC
- “Speaker Panel: The Social Good of Partying”, Vancouver Mural Festival, moderated by Shad, The Fox Cabaret, Vancouver, BC
- “Pendula: An Interactive Installation and Performance Instrument”, New Interfaces for Musical Expressions, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia
- “Pendula”, Third Annual Eelctroacoustic Music Festival Experts Panel, The Western Front, Vancouver, BC
- “Pendula”, 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art (ISEA 2015), Simon
- Fraser University, Vancouver, BC
- “Experimenting with Space at The AIDS Support Organisation’s Childcare Centre”, UBC Community Service Learning Program and UBC International Service Learning Program presents “From There to Here: Stories of Growth in Community”, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC.
- Bhumber, Kiran, Lee, Nancy, and Topp, Brian. (2016) “Pendula: An Interactive Installation and Performance Instrument”, New Interfaces for Musical Expressions Paper Proceedings 2016, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia.
- Lee, Nancy. “Swings Trigger Childhood Memories -- And a Unique Vancouver Project”, Huffington Post Canada, June 19th, 2015.
Residencies + Fellowships
- June 2017: Brief Encounters Gastown, Vancouver, BC
- September 2016-2017: The DanceLab Interdisciplinary Residency, The Dance Centre, Vancouver, BC
- August 2016: 21st Century Renaissance Artist Residency, Ismaili Centre, Burnaby, BC
- February 2015-April 2015: Unite For Sight Global Impact Fellowship, Photographer & Filmmaker for Pranav Eye Care Hospital in Chennai, India.
Virtual Reality: Director
- “Tidal Traces”(2017), National Film Board of Canada, Vancouver, BC
Music Video: Writer / Producer / Director
- “Swirl” by I M U R (2017), I M U R music, Vancouver, BC
- “Untangling” by Eli Muro (2017), Jellyfish Recordings, Vancouver, BC
- “Dreamers” by WILLA (2016), Nettwerk Music Group, Vancouver, BC
- “The Flood” by Joshua Hyslop (2015), Nettwerk Music Group, Vancouver, BC
- “Let It Go” by Joshua Hyslop (2015, Nettwerk Music Group, Vancouver, BC
- “Young Again” by Young Liars (2015), Nettwerk Music Group, Vancouver, BC
- “Don’t You Worry” by Kline & Oshea Adams, remixed by Self Evident (2014), Low Indigo, Vancouver, BC
- “Retrogrades” by #XI (2014), Classics Agency, Vancouver, BC
- “Delicate” by Sundays (2013), Classics Agency, Vancouver, BC
- “World We Own” by Sundays (2013), Classics Agency, Vancouver, BC
- “Heartless” by Kline (2013), Low Indigo, Vancouver, BC
- “Love Thought” by Friends with the Help (2012), Stoop Fam Records, Vancouver, BC
Short Films: Writer / Producer / Director
- “Faux Solo” (2016) short dance film, Festival of Recorded Movement, Vancouver, BC
- “Blind Beginnings” (2015), documentary, Classics Agency, Vancouver, BC
- “Beautiful Eyes” (2015), documentary, Pranav Foundation and Unite For Sight, New Haven, CT.
- “Kuppan" (2015), documentary, Pranav Foundation and Unite For Sight, New Haven, CT.
- “Sexy Asian Men? Examining the Desexualization of Asian Men in the Media” (2013), documentary, UBC, Vancouver, BC.
- “Growing Bananas in Vancouver” (2010), 3-part documentary in collaboration with Vania Chan (co-director), with supervision from Dr. Henry Yu (University of British Columbia)
Tidal Traces (2017)
- MUTEK_Img 2018, Phi Centre, Montreal, QC, April 11-13, 2018.
- SXSW, Canada. Big on VR presented by Telefilm Canada & Phi Centre, March 11-13, 2018.
- Miami Film Festival, Virtual Escape, Miami, FL, March10-18, 2018.
- Vancouver International Women in Film Festival, Vancouver, BC, March 7-11, 2018.
- European Film Market, Big on VR presented by Telefilm Canada & Phi Centre, Berlin, Germany, Feb 17-19, 2018.
- Le festival Ciné-corps, Escape VR, Paris, France, Jan 30-Feb 4, 2018.
- MUTEK, VR Salon, Tokyo, Japan, Nov 15-17, 2017.
I M U R - “Swirl” (2017)
- Leeds Queer Film Festival, March 24, 2018.
- Vancouver Short Film Festival, Vancouver, BC, Jan 21, 2018.
Faux Solo (2016)
- Opine Dance Film Festival, Atlanta, March 11th, 2017.
- Short.Sweet.Film Fest., Ohio, March 3-5th, 2017.
- Set.Me. Free (Flat Association), Venice, Italy, Feb-May 2017 monthly screenings.
- Festival de Cortometrajes "Jose Francisco Rosado" PACAS, Spain, January 7th, 2017.
- Szczecin European Film Festival, Poland, October 14-25th, 2016.
- Directed by Women - Short and Fun in NYC, NYC, Sept 1st-30th, 2016.
- Festival of Recorded Movement, Vancouver, BC, June 17-19th, 2016.
Where the Year Begins in Taiwan (2015)
- Screening curated by Paul Wong: Year of the Monkey, Vancouver Art and Leisure Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Recent Interdisciplinary Commissions
Pendula Exhibit (2014-present)
- Hardware and Software: Arduino, Max/MSP and Resolume Arena
- Swing set design, installation and videos by Nancy Lee; electroacoustics and software design by Kiran Bhumber
- Eyemyth New Media Festival, July 2, 2018, Homegrown India, antiSocial, Mumbai, India
- New Forms Festival ‘16, October 7-8, 2017, commissioned by New Forms Media Society
- 2015 Vancouver TD International Jazz Festival, commissioned by The Coast Jazz Society with support from the BC Arts Council and VIVO Media Arts.
- 2015 Vancouver Mini Maker Faire, PNE Forum, June 6-7 2015, Vancouver, BC Canada.
- LIGHT EXPO ’14, Vancouver Art and Leisure Centre, November 21st, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- By Nancy Lee (director, visuals), Laine Butler (visuals, installation), Kiran Bhumber (music), Ralph Escamillan (choreography), Sophia Wolfe (dance), and Alex Tam (dance).
- Live audio-visual performance with dance.
- Performance: The Courtyard Commission, October 22, 2016, commissioned by Ismaili Centre, Burnaby, BC.
Houle and Brown duo (2015) – The Gold Saucer, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Original visual content created using CoGe VJ and recorded video content.
- Commissioned by Oliver Brown (University of New South Wales) and François Houle (University of British Columbia).
Interdisciplinary performance for the Mania Mag Launch (2015)
- Textile and live video projection installation
- In collaboration with Ralph Escamillian (dance), Kevin Frazer (dance), and Cydney Eva (costume designer)
- Exhibition: El Kartel, Vancouver, BC
Pendula Performance (2015)
- By Nancy Lee (swings), Kiran Bhumber (clarinet), Clara Shandler (cello) and Neelamjit Dhillion (bansuri, tabla)
- TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival, Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver, BC, June 21-22nd 2015.
Selected Exhibition + Live Performances
Hollow Vertices (2015)
- By Nancy Lee (visuals, dance), Kiran Bhumber (clarinet, code) and Dr. Norah Lorway (code)
- Live audio-visual performance with dance and live coding
- CURRENT: A Pacific Northwest Feminist Electronic Art Symposium, July 29, 2017, Vancouver Art and Leisure, Vancouver, BC.
- Eyemyth New Media Festival, July 2, 2018, Homegrown India, antiSocial, Mumbai, India
- Modalmix: an A/V evening, The Revolver, Taipei, Taiwan, July 26th, 2016.
- EEVS Project 視聽計畫, Freedom Man Apartment Studio, Taichung, Taiwan, July 24th, 2016.
- International Conference on Live Coding, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, October 16th, 2016.
- New Interfaces for Musical Expressions, New Globe Theatre, Brisbane, Australia, July 13th, 2016
- BENT: A Showcase of Circuit Bending & Glitch Series, VIVO Media Arts Centre, Vancouver, BC, November 7th, 2015.
- Live audio-visual performance by Nancy Lee (visuals), Kent Stephany (sampler), and Allan Rodger (Moog, bass guitar, keyboard)
- SubShop, Fox Cabaret, Vancouver, BC, May 7 2014.
- By Nancy Lee (visuals, vocals) and Sean Oh (DJ)
- The Not Sent Letter Project, Western Front, Vancouver, BC, May 4 2013.
“pan opticon” (2015)
- Analogue video installation on 9 CRT TVs
- Exhibition: 19th Annual Eastside Culture Crawl, The Studio at Creative Coworkers, Vancouver, BC, Canada, November 19th-22nd, 2015
Scouts Honor presented by the Basement 6 Collective (2014)
- Video projections and interactive textile installations
- In collaboration with Katy Roseland (textile installation)
- Exhibition: Y/Ys, Shanghai, China
“Motion in a motionless space” (2014)
- Video projection installation and 8 swing sets
- Exhibition: LIFTED, The Loft, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
“Concrete Dreams” (2013)
- Short film, video projection installation
- Screened at The Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
“Bushes & Zombies” (2013)
- Short film, video projection installation
- Screened at The Walforf Hotel, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Selected Curatorial + Productions
- Chapel Sound Workshop Series (producer) - 5 low-cost workshops for Ableton music production, choreography, artist entrepreneurship and VJing
- Rise and Shine Music Seminar (director/co-producer) - rap/R&B/dance music seminar with all-ages and free workshops, panels, presentations and performances
- Vancouver Mural Festival presents Artist Prom (organizer)
- New Forms Festival Saturday Symposium (co-producer) - 1 keynote, 3 workshops, and 2 panels on the electronic music industry
- Chapel Sound 5 Year Anniversary (producer)
- Current: A Pacific Northwest Feminist Electronic Art Symposium (co-producer)
- Chapel Sound Long Weekends 2017 (co-producer)
- Chapel Sound 4 Year Anniversary (producer)
- Vancouver Mural Festival presents Chapel Sound (organizer)
- Chapel Sound Festival (producer/director) - 3 days of panels, artist talks, workshops, and performances featuring all local talent and 50/50 women/men line-up.
- Women in Video/Film Production Meet-Up (organizer/host)
- Chapel Sound 3 Year Anniversary (producer/curator)
- Video Production Instructor for Syrian Refugee Youth, Step Up Program, S.U.C.C.E.S.S., Vancouver, BC, January - March 2017
- Computer Literacy workshops for TASO staff, The AIDS Support Organization, Soroti, Uganda, July 2011.
board + jury
- 2015-2016: Youth Commissioning Fund Jury, Festival of Recorded Movement, Vancouver, BC
- 2015-2017: Vice-President, Vancouver Art and Leisure Society, Vancouver, BC
- 2015-present: Director, Chapel Sound Art Foundation, Vancouver, BC